Partizan (In The Park) 2014

What a splendid day we all had today.

The weather was warm, spirits high, and we went to a wargames show in a tent!

Yes, due to an error on the part of the Partizan venue, the show was held in a 10,000 square foot marquee. This must be a first for a major show.

And it was bloody great, unlike another recent show. But that's old news now.

Right from the moment of arrival the professionalism of the Newark Irregulars shone through, with clear and helpful directions to the parking zones, friendly smiles and warm welcome at the door.

Catering was handled in the adjacent cricket pavilion with reasonably priced and (as always) excellent breakfast sandwiches and hot drinks. I confess that the cold drinks were a little on the pricey side, but with a ticket price of £4 it was a day when I could get in, eat and drink for around a tenner!

What's not to like?

At lunch there were freshly cooked burgers and hot dogs, which again, hit all the 'plus points' for us.

The show was of the usual high standard, despite being under canvas as it were, and to be honest although quite warm, the light coming in through the marquee roof, meant that the displays were very visible and easy on the eyes. Although there were some games I saw at Triples the other week, they were of the better class, as were all the others. If I wanted to look at average looking games, I'd pop down to a wargames club with the old iPad. This show always has nice games!

I had hoped to see Wargames Developments down at Partizan, but alas it was not to be.

The trade was varied, and business seemed much more brisk than I've seen at other shows of late, and I walked out with some 15mm African Irregulars, some wonderful Rhodesian Light Infantry and a few other 28mm bits. My friend picked up Command & Colours Napoleonics brand new for under £40 and some interesting books. We spent under £200 between us, but got some nice stuff.

My wife was nit up to her usual 'spendy' self, but did enjoy the show. It is in my opinion one of the more accessible shows for the ladies and indeed the fairer sex was well represented as always. Pleanty of youngsters were in attendance, and I believe that I may have caused one of my old hobby pals, Dave Wood to have to but his daughter a figure or two :)

We were done by 1PM, but that was because we had all we needed and had seen all we wanted to see.

Nothing about the day (save maybe the warmth) was at all unpleasant, and I commend Newark Irregulars for managing to turn what on the face of it could have been a disaster, into (in my humble opinion) another great Partizan show.

You see, it's all about having a 'can do' attitude, and the Irregulars have that in spades.

Well done, chaps!

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...