Saturday, 12 March 2016

The Layout Grows...


I've been hard at work in the evenings on my model railway. I never normally work on anything creative for myself during the week, as it tends to blur the lines between work and hobbies, but the railway is very relaxing and I end up in a Zen state and 4 or 5 hours has passed. Last night Kayte had to come and yell at me to stop as it was 22:20 and I had just lost track of time.

The layout is looking really promising now.

It was delivered looking like this:




















I then built up the background so:


And used plaster bandage for the rocks, thus:




Then I spoke to an old gaming buddy who has taken up the railway engineers hat, and I decided that the sandstone rock faces were rubbish. So, I went out and bought  one of the Woodland Scenics moulds for making rock faces. These contain as you may already know, a number of assorted 'panels' which you combine to create a rock face. I've never used them before, so it was a ll new to me. Anyway, I cast up ten lots over a week or so, and then sprayed them with buff and grey acrylics and installed them over the Mod-Roc areas, after painting said areas dark grey:


And then framed in and filled in between the rocks with Woodland Scenics clump foliage, in four shades:


After 16 hours of applying thousands of pieces of clump foliage, adding yellow flowers to depict areas of gorse or broom, and dry-brushing the rock faces, I've got it to this stage with the ground foliage all done:





















All in all, I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt...

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...