A Quick Catch Up...

Over this year, I've been taking an interest in RPGs again, both the old classics and some newer stuff.

As, in a former life, I was a civil servant, the concept behind 'The Laundry' tickles my fancy, being essentially the british government - from the women at the top, down to the men who fix the plumbing in the staff toilets. I've already covered this I know, but it does go to show that I don just look to the past, I do actually sometimes step tentatively into the present, with clenched fists, white knuckles and grinding teeth.

Indeed, I have found that I like plastic models - as long as I don't have to build or paint them - because, six years of field tests have shown that my painter works much better on plastic than metal. He is not big on undercoating thoroughly and plain refuses to varnish. This means that shipments of metal miniatures can need a lot of remedial work.

Thus, plastic is the medium on which I let him loose. 

To be fair, he is not a professional painter and so, as his income is not dependant on the same strict regime I have to employ, he can be more cavalier. He will tell me to return anything which is not up to snuff, but a few little tweaks at the start and end of a job make a big difference.

Still, give him a crate-load of plastic sprues and some painting guides and what you get back is nothing less than beautiful.

I've finally started after more than 40 years, on getting my pre-slotta Undead done. I did once build one with the Prince August moulds, and like many of us, I had the entire 3rd ed Undead list in the original plastics, but I had a couple of carrier bags full of preslotta stuff sat there all that time, but couldn't face painting them. 

My aim is to get the feel of the seminal John Blanche 'Undead Assault' diorama - which lived for a while in Sheffield store way back in the mists of time - but in a wargames army.

under 2 hours so far and I have got 25 models in two poses done:

 





 These are two (particularly the scimitar) poses which suffered the most from breakage, so the amounts I have are depleted somewhat, so I suppose ending up with 25 after more than 4 decades of being ignored and moved from place to place after I left home, is not bad.

I'm also looking for the Citadel Miniatures C42 'Battlecars'  range of models as well as a copy of the Battlebikes supplement for the main game, so if you have one, reach out to me in the comments. (The comments are not public until I approve them, so you can include contact details, which I'll note down and then delete the comment.)

With the Autumn and Winter ahead, I'll be going into Winter Quarters from October 31st as I always do, with a moritorium on acquisitions for the most part, allowing me to not go into the red to pay for Christmas, but this year it should also allow me to crack on with the Undead and the 700 15mm Laserburn figures. 

4 more of the Armies Of The Past books by Gabriele Esposito arrived today, and they look as good as the others I have, so I may have a busy weekend, and may have to reschedule the pre-Autumnal clean-up of the back yard and gardens. Or maybe I'll get those done first and then settle down for the next few weekends.

I have a wants list for painted armies in either 15 or 28mm, and if you have any for sale and they are attractive, please again reach out to me.

I'm looking for:

15 or 28mm Biblical - Midianite, Egyptian, Thracian, Hittite, Trojan / Mycenaen

15mm ACW

15mm ECW 

Basing is not important, as I largely ignore basing connventions these days.

 I'm formulating some more focussed posts at present, but as is the normal state for me, I have several threads, which I need to mull over and spin out. It's like having an itch, in that an idea eventually makes me metaphorically scratch and I put finger to keyboard, hopefully entertaining and offending in equal measure.

Well, I have a chicken to roast, so I better away and get my cock good and hot...

 

TTFN 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And We're Off! Or, How I Learned, After 45 Years, To Just Do What I Want, And Ignore Everybody & Everything Else

Counter Cultural Thoughts...

Memory Lane Part 24: Prehammer To Firsthammer & Beyond