Getting The Wardrobe Ready For The Autumn Convention Season

Well, as I am having to be patient as I wait for my 28mm ECW to arrive from the painter, and as I am planning for the Autumnal campaigning season, it seems like the perfect time to continue with my raising of the sartorial standard at shows.

To this end I have purchased a few items that will, I feel bring a touch of elegance and style to the hazy days of gold and brown.

First up were a couple of casual 'weekend' shirts, one in a nice crisp cotton with blue and white stripes and the other a rather racier cotton flannel in a rather fetching gold and burgundy country check. They are from Samuel Windsor who make the most excellent moleskins, shoes and casual shirts. I've not tried their formal shirting, because frankly I am something of a snob in that regard  and  prefer T.M Lewin for my French cuffed formal shirts, which I'd generally not wear to a convention.




Now, I know we traditionally see a lot of waistcoats at conventions, but these have in most cases (and there are some excellently tailored exceptions, like a chap at Vapnartak this year who was sporting a rather wonderful moleskin number) have been of the cheapish hippy variety or just poorly worn with a T-shirt or other such unsuitable under-attire which looks awful. As a youth I did this and know I know the pain it causes to a more sensitive sartorial sensibilities.

Anyway, I decided that whilst it's nice to have a 3-pice suit which allows for the waistcoat to be detached as a solo piece, I wanted a bit more variety. You'll have seen the rather nice number I was sporting for Partizan, well I was so impressed I tracked down a couple more by the same chaps.

One is a very sober, dark blue tweed whilst the other is a wool flannel in charcoal great with a very nice ochre and burgundy check.



And then on Friday, it was a last minute dash to my tailors (Ted Williams of London Road Sheffield - Look them up) to collect my newly finished 3 piece Donegal tweeds which are a lot lighter and probably softer than my Yorkshire tweed suit they delivered at the back end of last year.

Some nice details such as the lapelled waistcoat and buttonhole together with a more contemporary cut which retains the classic turn-up on the trousers, make this a very pleasing suit to look at.


The swapping of the waistcoat for the blue tweed one above gives this suit a lot of possibilities and the addition of a pink paisley pocket square and a T.M Lewin white shirt with pink and blue check and French cuffs will really make it pop.

And so there you have it, my campaign for better dressed wargamers continues apace.

Now if only this damned hot spell would come to an end...

TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...