Well, This Is A Week I Am Already Wishing Was Over...

It's only Tuesday but I'll be very, very glad to see the week off, I can tell you.

Yesterday, my wife was whisked to hospital by a Paramedic with a suspected allergic reaction. As it turned out, said fellah was a gamer we've known for about 20 years which made the memsahib relax somewhat.

At 8PM she was still at the hospital, having said I should stay at home and work, so I got a lift over there thanks to my Dad, and found her in the accuse case unit. At 23:30 she was admitted to a ward with angioedema, and I left her at 2AM having fragged my brother out of his bed at midnight to go and make sure our 4 dogs were put to bed.

Good on yo bro'

Neither I or my good lady were certain we'd see each other again as the swelling of the blood vessels was spreading to her lungs and breathing was increasingly difficult.

At 4AM my brain shut down and I crashed out having not eaten since Sunday night nor slept in 21 hours.

Anyway, Kayte was allowed home this afternoon, exhausted but relieved, so you will understand why I am not friends with the week.

On a brighter and more geeky note of gamer goodness, I purchased 400 Dixon Miniatures Samurai yesterday morning and they are being sent off to be painted after I sent the funds in advance to my  painter of choice.

Last Friday, my very good and respected friend Roger pointed me to a collection of 100 or so nicely painted Dixon Samurai on a well known auction site. I made an offer to the seller of £300 which was accepted, so I have around 500 Samurai - A fair start!

Good on you, Rog'!

As you can see the quality is rather nice for the money, when you think that painting worked out at about £1.55 per piece after metal cost allowances


I will be rebasing them of course...

Now I know many of you will be recoiling at the thought of Dixon sculpts, but I will thumb my nose at you, because I love them. I always have, since I first came across them when Steve Royen founder of Hallmark Figurines offered them who he teamed up with the Dodo shop in Gunson's Lawnmower Repairs on Monday nights, here in Sheffield.

Indeed, the very first painting competition I won was with a Dixon model of Ii Naotaka, leader of the Tokugawa aligned 'Red Devils'.

Dixon are stylised but stylish. The metal has always been superb, and as Roger pointed out, if you want the to venture into the legends of Japan, you need heroic figures to take on the Oni and Bakemono. And as always, he is 100% on the money.

Perry look like shop window mannequins by comparison, Old Glory are just piss poor. I like TAG, but again for me Dixon are the drug of choice. 

The chunky and dynamic sculpts lend themselves to scenic element basing. 

And with that my very dear readers, I must sign off as my brain is telling my body it's overdrawn.


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...