Is It Lustria Or Amazonia?

I've been quite happily completing and using my vintage Undead army as you'll have seen from my recent posts, and of course, I've been looking at other lists from the older Warhammer editions with an idea of perhaps painting a normal sized army of 3000 or so points, myself.

I had considered Amazons, but the collectors prices being asked are ludicrous. Now, I am not adverse to paying for something I want as my recent purchases of Joe Dever's Undead testifies, but £15 for a 25mm figure which will be extremely susceptible to lead rot? And when I need 200 or so?

Bollocks to that!

I looked at Slann too, but again there are some silly prices for what are really not that spectacular a range if viewed with a rational eye. Hell, how many people bought these and then discarded them in the early 80s? Very many...

But, out of those two armies, the Slann are the only army to have a couple of formal lists, thereby negating the need to fudge an army together.

So, what to do?

well, it was here that my friend and fellow vintage miniature enthusiast David Wood of The Little Soldier Company came to my rescue with his recently released Tenoch range, who amazingly bear a striking (some may say uncanny even) resemblance to Slann. Rather fortuitous that!

Here's a pic from Dave's site of a figure which is based loosely on an old illustration by I think, Paul Bonner, realised in 3D by Kev Adams - that ticks the Oldhammer box and scratches the vintage itch enough for me.



And so, there was the matter of an army list which, made me reach for the Book Of Battalions in the Forces Of Fantasy supplement for 1st ed' which had the rather wonderfully named 'Clawed Feet Of Mylkbeotl' list, used in the play testing of the rules.

At around 200 models, it's a nice size with lots of variety and some funny 'fluff' which will bring a bit of character to the force on the table.

So, I dropped David a line and despite interrupting 'quality time' he very kindly (for that is his way) took an order from me, cleared up a few aesthetic fine points and sold me an entire army, with the addition of 20 more eunuch slaves, because I love the models and the idea of a front line of slave troops, shielding the Slann, really has aesthetic and fluff potential.

Anyway, monies changed hands and I am awaiting the delivery with somewhat sweaty palms.

It was whilst chatting to a friend n the phone last night, that the matter of natives of the Amazon cropped up, as I said that the old Citadel Pygmies, whilst in my opinion lovely, would upset two many of the so called 'liberals' who seem to be as populous as maggots on a dead cat at present.

So, my friend suggested the ranges from North Star, which I thought inappropriate for my old school needs, but which we both agreed would make rather wonderful subjects for a game in their own right.

I mean, we are talking tribal sized formations of say a hundred warriors, armed with archaic  technology and no armour, along with poisoned darts and arrows, running amok in what must seem like a large world to them but in fact may only be a few miles in area, enacting ancient tribal disputes. Wonderful stuff!

Add a party of European explorers or even some Cthulhu inspired nasties and it changes yet again. As I said - wonderful!

So, I may just have to speak to Nick over at North Star and make this one a reality.

And finally, being a fan of the sartorially elegant or just plain dandy, I am considering a pair of striking 'painted leather' brogues:



And with that dear readers, I shall sign off for the present.


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Terrain Mats For Games - The finest tactical teddybear fur!