5 Days Into My Christmas Break - And Boredom strikes! But I Have Risen Like Lazarus...

I have been looking forward to my Christmas break ever since September when I returned from my Summer break. So, why has boredom struck, a mere 5 days in?

This morning actually found me back at my desk - on Boxing Day, no less - working.

True, I had just seen my day ruined, when the Helion & Company doorstep of a book on the Russian army of the Great Northern War ended up in the bath, with all hands lost and no chance of rescue. So, my planned day of luxurious reading went south and I had to order another copy from Amazon, which was a small bill I had not reckoned on.

Then, the boredom hit, shortly after I raided the post Christmas Day fridge in search of some pre-breakfast cold cuts and pickles, and the coffee ran out.

However, this afternoon, after 3rd snooze, I did some reading up on the War Of The Triple Alliance, following the teaser email from Perry Miniatures the other day. I was vaguely aware that the war took place, and that I recall as a youth, some older gamers who were into the late 19th century era, had played around with a few Freikorps models, but it was only when I saw the uniforms that I got a little excited.

And it was no minor punch up in an cantina, but a proper war which saw the adult male population of one of the countries involved. decreased by 70%!

Now that's a war.

The uniforms are somewhere between the ACW, Franco Prussian and Carlist Wars, with that Latin American flair and pomp.

The battles were often fought in marshy and rough terrain in a sub-tropical climate.

Now, add to this, the inimitable sculpting style of the Perrys and you have a heady mix, which has the allure of a freshly opened bottle of Aramis.

Accordingly, I have the 160 page book on the subject by Winged Hussar Publishing arriving on Friday with the replacement GNW Russian book.


With the first packs being released in January, I fear that Vapnartak may see me lurking around the stall of one Mr Thomas.

I believe that my old buddy Roger will be giving me one of his raised eyebrows (lethal close up, let me tell you) and possibly some pithy remarks, but I am not going to blink. Having planned the GNW Russian army with which to thwart his Swedish expansionist tendencies, I feel that a trip to the Rio De La Plata is not unreasonable.

Some of those uniforms are pretty wonderful...


I love the almost 'Toy Soldier' look of the raggedy arsed Paraguayans!

Anyway, I must dash as I think I hear a wine cork popping a few streets away at my dad's place and he doesn't drink, so it must mean I am expected. A wine cork is my equivalent of the Bat Signal.

Roger very kindly sent me a 20 year old port for Christmas, and I shall drink to his long and very good health, whilst reading my new books, although I'll do it on dry land this time I think.


Merry Christmas all!


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...