Rant Time!

In the last 40 years, there have been many changes in this fine hobby, but one which really grinds on my nerves is the dumbing down of armies.

How? I hear you say...

Well, when I was but a lad, every period had it's enthusiasts within a club, to whom you would be directed, or to whom you might speak when you saw a game in progress which made your heart miss a beat.

I recall, that the first time I saw Lloyd Powell with his colourful 25mm Medieval armies, John Armatys with his Marlburians or the entire club's senior membership with their vast ACW displays.

The amount of scholarly knowledge was astounding, and although you could be given a long reading list, they personal 'off the cuff' knowledge was unbelievable.

Armies looked like the illustrations/photographs/descriptions and so you got a really good grounding in the look and feel of a period. Remember that the most recognisable feature back then was the Osprey book; we'd not yet reached the age of the spoon fed, mass produced approach.

My own love of the ECW and Renaissance was fuelled by museum visits, conversations with older gamers (some like Lloyd who were historians and archaeologists) and by reading stuff all over the shop, trying my hardest to refine the details on my 15mm Mike's Models collection.

Indeed, finding that the use of the morion by musketeers in the ECW was nominal, I ripped the figures from my units which were so, equipped, having bought a number of ready made armies from MM.

But, this information came from actual research, rather than from buying a glossy book. It taught me what looked 'right' for a period, which added to the feel and presence of an army. It made me understand the evolution of uniforms and tactics.

This morning I was reading a forum, wherein a gamer was asking what the difference was between the Warlord plastic ECW infantry and the New Model Army figures.

The degree of ignorance of those replying with certainty astounded me, and I realised that the ability to discern differences seems to be in decline.

One of the first things I learned was the NMA saw the introduction of the cassock with tapes (this presents a different outline to the figures) but more importantly the gradual replacement of bandoliers with cartridge boxes. All neophyte stuff, I assure you, but the degree of ignorance on even these minor points was astounding.

It made me wonder just how much reading beyond the Pike & Shotte rulebook they've actually done, or indeed how closely they have looked at the dress of the armies they recreate in miniature.

If you disregard the historical details of the army you are building, then it's a fantasy army (oh, I bet a few people will splutter at that, but it's a fact, you are in the land of Orcs & Goblins if you take this route) and I can promise you that how you approach your going will be affected.

I have seen pictures of ECW games, where the look of the troops and the deployment appears to be Marlburian in theme. I feel equally strongly about Plains Wars games where the Indians look like they stepped from central casting, with Sioux bearing blatantly Apache warpaint.

There is no excuse in this age of information for poor research. The age of ignorance is upon this hobby and it's time we called out those who perpetuate it!

TTFN

Comments

  1. As someone that has just ordered minis for a fantasy renaissance project I can see what you mean, just picking up information from a few sperate sources can greatly improve the experience of designing and building a force (even though as a fantasy player I get to ' cherry pick' from it). However one thing that really gets my goat looking at forces of the period is the ten man pike block. I mean, what's the point?. I get people are 'representing' a pike block but surely a unit that is only effective in large numbers requires more respect than to be made by as few miniatures as you can get away with!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I guess it's in large the price we pay for going more "mainstream popular", models and rulebooks available everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Terrain Mats For Games - The finest tactical teddybear fur!