The Best Way To Varnish Miniatures (IMHO)

 I'm often messaged or asked about my varnishing.

So, here's a 'real time' guide.

Firstly, I use Montana Gold High Gloss anti-UV varnish. This is a high grade spray varnish used by street artists. It dries, fast, enhances and locks in the colour and smooths paintwork beautifully:


After about 15 minutes, it will be dry...

Then I use Winsor & Newton Professional Artist's Matt Spray Varnish. Shake it well and give a light sweeping coat. It will be properly dry in about an hour and is by far the best matt varnish in terms of consistency, finish and quality.

 

As you can see, metallic paints retain their integrity. I would argue the efficacy of the W&N Professional ranges against any other matt varnish. There's is a reason that it sells out so fast across, the country, and that is because it's the best. 

I've had a couple of people argue for The Army Painter, but listen, I paint around 10,000 models in all scales and across all eras, and A.P, Testors and the cheaper W&N just don't do the job. A.P products in general are becoming syrupy and glossy in consistency and finish, to the degree that they are no longer a 'must have' item in my studio.

I hope this is of use to some of my readers.


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

The Passing Of A British Wargaming Legend

A Serious Post And Another Obituary But With Some More Positive Stuff At The End