Frothings Of Fantasy

  It's been a hell of a week for one reason and another, but I've ended up doing long days painting as well as maintaining the household and watering a ludicrous number of plants, and until now, I've been working similarly today from 6AM... Life in the real world sucketh verily.

 And so, it's fitting that when I have had a few moments spare, I've indulged myself in the burgeoning fantasy project.

 This week, I have managed to purchase and/or taken delivery of the following:

 

72 Imp-Goblin cavalry mounted on wolves from Ral Partha

60 Gnomes from Essex Miniatures

24 Centaurs from Essex Miniatures

105 Halflings from Copplestone Castings

100 Lesser Goblins from Satanic Panic Miniatures

1 Asgard dragon from Alternative Armies

60 Goblin Guards (old Reider Designs) from Alternative Armies

 These are all off to my painter ASAP

 From Colonel Bill's, I also acquired some Essex Miniatures Medievals, painted to a tidy standard at under metal cost, comprising:

36 Archers

24 Foot Knights

24 Foot Sergeants

12 Mounted Knights

 These will expand my human forces to 16 units, so there's room for a few more.

 Then I need to add Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, Undead and maybe some Beastmen. Then I'll look around for other interesting stuff for both the forces of Good and those of Evil.

I was chatting with a couple of friends the other day and we all agreed that we really do like our miniature figures to look like facsimiles of real people rather than hyper realistic recreations. 

Why? 

Well, because what we love is well painted miniature toys that are meant to be played with and which inspire imagination. All of us are in the creative industries in one way or another and know how to do the hyper realistic stuff, but that 80s 'top end' look is where our hearts lie.

They are toys and so should look as if they are painted to be such, to be facsimiles of life rather than recreations of it.

The whole concept of tiny lead dollies was what got me interested all those decades ago, and my friends are the same. The same comments can be made about terrain. It should always, always have a hint of the artificial, because again, it's a toy. It can do that and still be very attractive aesthetically. The exagerrated colours and slightly 'false' look, are what stimulate you, I think. If you were to go with the hyper realistic approach, you'd be surprised at hoiw drab a collection would look.

I'm not saying I've had it with historical gaming, but it's so prohibitive when it comes to using your imagination. I will be the first to declare my love of history, but I am driven by my imagination and so, Fantasy is where I am going to spend more time, as I've opined previously.

I'm happy there, with nobody to please but myself.


TTFN


 

 

 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...