We're Gonna Need More Buckets...

 I set myself three 'bucket list' goals for the year, having decided that we are not going to shows and having ended 2023 with a surfeit in the gaming fund, and coming to the conclusion that actually  I pretty much have all I want, more than I need and to be honest being in a really happy place with how gaming/life in general is going. 

So, the three aims were:


1. Finish the fantasy collection entirely.

2. Fulfill a dream I had since I was about 14 and buy a sheepskin flying jacket.

3. Buy a hi-fi which could do everything, instead of relying on MP3s for all my music.

 

Well, yesterday, I sent the very last of the fantasy project to the painter in the form of 8KG of plastic and classic metal models. The fun we had playing the battle of Green's Bottom over Christmas is still being discussed, and one friend has been inspired to rebase what is probably the largest Elf army ever, and it's nearly all vintage Jez Goodwin models to boot.

Gaming should be fun, and the pleasure I get gaming with people who don't take themselves too seriously with posturing and the like, (when what we are really doing is playing with little lead dollies) is pretty much the best high I have experienced. Sharing my gaming table with people of a similar age, (and their offspring of course) who don't get together as often as any of us would like, is a real treat. It's what gaming is about for me. These are people I love and respect and to be able to spend time with them is a gift which keeps on giving.

My ECW skirmish collection is growing steadily. I also sent a dragoon storming party, a dozen mounted figures and a few conversions over to the painter with the fantasy. Technically, it's a 'completed' project, but you know how it is with ECW, you buy a storming party and then you fancy a cheeky troop of dragoons, straight after.

I'm hopefully getting the last few Grand Manner buildings sorted too. Yesterday, I was over on the Colonel Bill's site, and I saw a 'Painted bridge - unknown manufacturer' for £15. It was nicely painted and - yes, after checking it was the same as one of the two GM bridges I have. At less than half the cost of an unpainted model (and it's very nicely done) it was a no-brainer and was swiftly added to the collection. I can see the next fantasy battle being 'The Battle Of Three Fords', but it also allows for some interesting skirmish scenarios set in the Peak District where bridges over streams and rivers abound.

Now, the flying jacket... There's something I've never mentioned. I was always into rock from about age 12, finally settling on 'Prog', which I love to this day, despite the wilderness years where I lost myself in the Goth scene (dress in black, weird, hot, chicks, in a club 6 nights per week - you get the idea) and I decided when I watched the video for 'Fanfare For The Common Man' filmes at the stadium for the Montreal Olympics by Emerson Lake & Palmer, I decided that I wanted a sheepskin, B3 pattern flying jacket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=c2zurZig4L8

Now, these jackets are a minefield of sartorial boobytraps.

1. They have to be the B3 pattern used by the WW2 bomber crews.

2. They must have YKK zips

3. They must be made of large panels of double sided sheepskin. Loads of small panels, generally indicates lower grade sheepskin.

4. They must have 'ginger' linings. It looks better - deal with it.

5. Half arm, cuff zips are desirable. It says 'made properly', like 4 buttons on a bespoke suit cuff, and the little label in the pocket with the date and your name on it.

6. If a jacket costs less than a 28mm army - buy the army, because that jacket will be a disappointment for sure.

These are a once in a lifetime purchase if they are the right quality, and my advice is to decide on the day it comes into your life, that you nominate a post mortem recipient for your jacket, because it should easily outlast you.

It's not an item you rush into buying, totally not like a standard bike leather or fashion leather. I have owned about 15 leather jackets in my time, but never a sheepskin. I had to be able to spend the time choosing it. I have tried a lot on over the year but none have really ticked all my boxes.

However, I think I found one on Sunday, so fingers crossed, I'll have that bucket list entry dealt with. Two out of three down in the first month of the year - YAY!

The Hi-Fi is going to be problematic. Admittedly, I want a machine to play vinyl on, because I really think the claims on sound quality may be true, but I also want to ba able to stream, and ideally attach a hard drive to it to embrace the moderm. This is the hard part by the look of things, so I'm going to have to spend a few weekend in hi-fi stores, being mocked by sound nerds in static filled slacks and nylon ties, or tight trousered Hipsters who sneer ironically at everything and anybody - Boy will they find out what a proper sneer is. I have like may gamers over the years become a veteran of the Grand Sneer.

So 2023, is going to be a real test with the domestic upheaval we have to endure here at Fackham Hall, but hopefully I can end the year tired but fulfilled with regards to the leisure side of life.


TTFN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...