A Highland Fling...

 I've been planning the rest of 2024 and 2025, this week.

Looking at the sheer amount of lead that's on my gaming table at present, for the Williamite Wars, I have reached the conclusion that I have enough to be playing with at present, but that does not mean that I am ending it there.

As I think I recounted a few posts back, I have been pretty focussed on the idea of going back (as always) to the 1980s and to the time I first saw what was then, the new Front Rank, Jacobite range.

I will always link the music of Big Country, in particular, their  'THE SEER' album, with its bagpipe-like guitar work and Celtic flavour. 

Now, if I get a nasty attack of the 'North Of The Borders' it's that sound I look to for solace.

Unfortunately, this leads to a vicious circle wherein I start looking at Scots armies and getting that aforementioned 'men in wigs, stocking and tricorns' fetish, juiced up by the 'men in checked skirts' syndrome

Now, you'd have thought that the Williamite stuff would have done the trick, but when I reviewed what I own already and decided that I'd focus my immediate finances on a new project - OK, OK, so it's only three weeks since the last 'new project' but that's how I roll - it was to the hethered Highlands I turned my granite jaw and steely eyes.

And so, I decided that nice mini-project would be the 1745 Rebellion. After all, you can refight Falkirk or Culloden at a ratio of 1:25 with 600-700 models in an aesthetically pleasing manner, and with a few more models, probably cover the whole campaign. Certainly, you'll be looking at sub-1000 toys which, in my opinion is both 'reet big' (copyright Ken Reilly) and also be sensible enough for a solo collection which can be completed within a decent timescale.

1:25 makes for nice 20 figure English units and is close enough to the Beneath The Lily Banners basing conventions, although I do tend to be basing agnostic these days.

In terms of figures, I think it will have to be Flags of War. Old Glory just don't 'do it' for me, Front Rank have a scarce 3 or 4 figures for the Jacobite cavalry.

Whilst I plan to base the initial collection on Falkirk and Culloden, I'll be commissioning the rest of the units for the campaign obver time as well as simultaneously adding two units per time to the Williamite Wars stuff, so that in the end I have a very nice collection which will sit inbetween the end of the ECW and start of the 7YW.

The Sword & Sorcery collection will be getting a few cursory additiuons but as already documented I've done the heavy lifting on that and can refocus on historical gaming.

Nowm, I am just waiting for my future self to pop back in time and let me know that I'm as I though,, immortal so that I can slow down a bit with the arms race betwixt myself and the Grim Reaper.

Amazon and eBay will be cursing my name this next few days as my reading pile increases exponentially and I start to 'cram' on a period that I have always had an interest in but which I have only dipped a paw into .

Well, if you will excuse me, I must sign off as the memsahib is giving me her 'Nike' look. You know, the one that says 'Just do it!'


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Passing Of A British Wargaming Legend

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Serious Post And Another Obituary But With Some More Positive Stuff At The End