A Seriously Geeky Whim And Remembering Peter Armstrong - AKA Greblord

Well, this Wednesday sees the second anniversary of the passing of Peter Armstrong, AKA 'Greblord' who for those of you who don't know the name was one of the 'originals' when it came to the detailed painting of miniatures, and who was the author of the original Citadel painting guide (also reused by RAFM), predating all the studio-based guff.

He was funny, thoughtful and acerbic in equal measures.  To me over the years he was mentor and tormentor, being capable of quite horrendous bullying one day and then on my next visit to GW, helpful and almost brotherly.

I would not change any of that for the world, because with his sidekick and co-conspirator, Chris Gilbride, many an obnoxious youth learned wit and sarcasm from the best. Better to fight with the wits than the blade.

Amongst the many memories I have of Pete, was the Christmas Eve fancy dress sessions in the Sheffield store, and in particular the year that he and Chris dressed as Ghostbusters, complete with home made proton packs which could fire the 'streamers in a can' which were all the rage in the mid 80s.

And so, it is fitting that I dedicate my latest purchase to Pete and his enduring legacy.

Yesterday, I dug deep, fought my better financial sense and commissioned a replica proton pack.

The following pics are the prototype, and so you may imagine how simply geeked out I am, to know that mine will be better than this. Pete I think would have torn a strip off me, critically appraised and then pointed out this or that fault, and then admitted out of earshot that it was brilliant.

I would accept and expect nothing less from the big man.

Pete, if you can see this, I miss you, but this time I win the dressing up competition ;)





No photo description available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...