Painting Advice For The Coming Weeks Of Isolation

We are living in curious times, but I guess, because I've work from home as a figure painter for around a decade, essentially in isolation, I've been less affected than many by the idea of a lockdown.

This got me thinking about how those of you who are unable to work but find yourself with time on your hands will be able to crack on and get those lead piles reduced. So, without my normal satire or sarcasm, I'd like to share a few observations with you which may help, if you are planning marathon painting stints in the weeks to come.

1. Order your work area. regardless of the bravado I see and hear about 'if your desk isn't untidy you are not an artist.'

That is pure bollocks. You will find that as your desk fills, your posture becomes cramped, your productivity falls and you will sooner or later spill paint, catch yourself on a knife or just give up the ghost.


2. Lay out your work area for the best movement. Have your water a little further than you can reach without moving, your brush pot off to the side, your coffee mug well away from your desk.

Why?

It will make you move regularly and movement is good. I have arthritis in my hands and legs, and added to that I have over the last decade developed a sort of frozen left hand side because I was not moving enough.

Before you start, and every hour or so, work your shoulders, arms and hands. Rotate your ankles and stretch those legs. This is even more crucial if you do not normally sit for long periods.

Don't sit hunched up. It is a killer...

OK, so you work in an office... You already sit all day...

Sure, but I will guarantee that you sit differently and your muscles and skeleton will let you know in short order.


3. Lighting is crucial. You should not skimp on a light. Tiny desk lights will make you hunch over.

Your eyesight will suffer and so will your circulation. Spend some of the money you've saved by not driving or going to Salute on a large LED light. Hear are a brilliant supplier and the Greenlamp task light by Daylight Co is a winner. Everyone I know, who has taken my advice has reported that they are very pleased and amazed at the results on their posture and painting.


4. If you can have a routine. Treat it as if you have a timetable and stick to it.

 Organise your mind and your environment. Factor in coffee breaks, lunch (away from your work area as the smell of that pot noodle will linger and it's not pleasant), letting the dog out on the garden. Those breaks let you stretch and keep the blood flowing.

Drink plenty and keep the bladder flowing and those kidneys functioning.


5. Only start, what you can complete in the time you have allocated. This is a cardinal rule of mine in 90% of my work. It gives you a yardstick for how effectively you are working but more importantly, you can sit back at the end of a session and look at a completed batch of toys which can be on the table as soon as you base them. Set achievable targets and achieve them.


6. Unless you already sit and paint for several hours at a time, regularly, build up steadily, increasing the painting time, each session. If not, I guarantee that you'll have pain like you have never known and your painting will suffer as a result.


So there you have it. These are things which work, and I hope that you'll find them useful.

Normal irreverent service will resume shortly...



TTFN



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...