It's Been How Long?

 Crikey! Has it really been so long since my last post? I fear it has...

I've been rather busy of late with my day job resulting in lots of late finishes as I continue to turn out some seriously nice paintwork for clients, although, when it comes to Adler Miniatures, I am going to have to be a little firmer over the number you get for your money as they are about as involved as a 15mm model when you paint to my standard.

I'm also knee deep in getting several hundred Kickstarter pledge rewards for the Satanic Panic Miniatures hobgoblins put together. That's literally thousands of models which have to be picked, sorted and bagged. Hot on their heels will be the Lesser Goblins which are currently at the moulding stage.

And to top that off, Fackham Hall needs the stairs and lounge redecorating ahead of new carpets being fitted, so my weekends are a tad busy at present.

That said, I am pleased to report that my New Model Army is almost painted, and then it's just a case of getting it all based and the flags fitted. I'm currently waiting for the last 5 foot and 7 horse regiments.

I'm also waiting for a 28mm Montrose Scots army. This is an army I always liked the look of but never bothered with, being something of a staunch Parliamentarian. I also considered a Covenanter army, but realistically, just how many pike and shot units do I actually need?

I ordered 200 of the old citadel 'Traveller' sic-fi minis from RAFM over in Canada (they still produce them as generic 15mm sic-fi), but after more than a month, there's no sign of them. This is disconcerting, as I then ordered a further 230 after deciding that splitting sic-fi into 15 and 20mm was a waste of funds and time.

I bagged copies of the Striker ground rules and the Snapshot starship corridor fight rules, both of which use the 15mm ranges. And as I mentioned Chris G, supplied me with several extra sets of starship floor plans.

I plan to add a few vehicles by GZG, and will be selecting models which I feel go well with the old Citadel look. I'm not a fan of modern ultra-tech models. Look, I was spoiled by the cover art on Striker in the early 80s and those dinky 20 figure sets from Citadel. 

I have based my purchases around shipboard units and passengers, as well as 4 distinct types of 'ground troops' in roughly company sized formations. Assuming I finally get my models from RAFM, I'll add similar sized units of alien troops - Aslan, Drone and Vargr.

I remember many, many moons ago, in 1982/83 when we were playing Laserburn a lot, that we used the foam liners from Citadel box sets, pinned together to create tower blocks, and the foam sheets as spaceport runways, putting Traveller man military up against Vargr raiders who'd taken control of the spaceport on a backwater world. The military were pushing across the runway areas and got well and truly slaughtered until they could bring their sun guns to bear and the dreadnought suits were deployed.

I also have a plan to retreat my tabletop take on the Green Horizon scenario from White Dwarf, using the Snapshot rules, but I haven't told Roger yet that he's been shanghaied for this. He is not traditionally a dragons or lasers guy, so he can run the German troops who are defending the heavy water plant.

I've finally managed to get hold of the one scenario I am missing from my Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes collection. I managed to find it on Noble Knight Games last week, so I hope it will arrive soon.

The final thing I have planned is a pair of matched Medieval armies. I'm only looking at 'club night' sized armies this time, because realistically 5000 men per side would be a fair sized battle in those days, so 250 models per army, seems a nice size... 10-15 units per side is more than sufficient for a pleasant game.

I'd moored 100yw, but Roger is a little uninspired by that, so I am hoping that he will be warmer towards perhaps the Barons Wars or Anglo-Scots wars. I know he'd tell me that it was my money so my choice, but I want all my gaming to equitable and pleasant for all involved. 

I ordered the Swordpoint rules and Medieval lists yesterday, so I'll see if they are as good as the reviews suggest and then plan my armies ready for a post Christmas (a matter of weeks away folks) offensive as I emerge from winter quarters.

Right, if you will excuse me, I have to go up into the tower and begin my day's work. It's an early finish today as I have to go and get my seasonal flu jab this afternoon... Oh joy!


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...