More Little Memories & A Public Service Announcement

 Hi all, well, the blog has broken the 200,000 views stage, which is pretty amazing.

Yesterday I continued my casual purchasing of 80s RPG stuff, with another Holmes blue book Basic D&D manual:

Yes, yes... I know I bought one last week, but this is where the 'proper' gaming began for me, as until then I'd been playing the 'D&D Lite' rules which came in the 4 Heritage mini games. Bagging my first copy from Hopkinsons in Sheffield for £3.99 - a princely sum in 1982, I can tell you set me on a course of wasting the rest of my life, but having a little fun along the way.

 

Then, having purchaed Gamma World 2nd ed on Sunday evening whilst watching 'Porkys II' (don't judge me, it's funny, un-PC and besides I don't really give a damn what you think of my taste in 80s films), yesterday I managed to get hold of a set of unused Gamma World character sheets. I loved that cover for the characterful portraits and as I refused as a 16 year old to shell out on official character sheets, I saw this as a chance to stick two fingers up to the younger me for a mere £16.

Now, a word of warning to those like me who like to collect odd things... If you see this module:

 

Do NOT buy it!

GW5 was a module which was planned but never actually released by TSR. Now, it does exist but it is a free PDF put together by true fans, and is a cracking little module. Some cheeky wags are having it printed on demand and are screwing over the unwary with ridiculous prices, claiming it to be 'rare'.

Fuck 'em, and 10 generations of their line.

Download it free here:

 http://www.waynesbooks.com/downloads/GW5%20Rapture%20of%20the%20Deep.pdf

Then get it printed yourself.  A little effort will save you a lot of money, and screw over those scalping, bastards who prey on those of you who don't do your research or who were unfortunate enough to be born too late to amass the arcane knowledge of living ancestors such as I.

Right, I better crack on with my working day, but take a look at the Dark Places & Demogorgons game... I mentioned before that it's a game set in the Spielberg 'kid film' vein, using the D&D mechanics. I've finally started readin it and it's a joy despite one or two typos, and the A5 format makes it great for taking anywhere. Any game with a chart which can make your character pee their pants is bound to be fun!


TTFN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...