Full Circle, But Not As Appealing

I remember in the early to mid 1980s when TSR was starting to expand the envelope with regards to the D&D I.P and brand, that they released a range of solid vinyl figures (as well as action figures) which were pretty good, but much larger than the usual figures we used.

They were roundly derided as 'toys', but I have to say that I was impressed when I saw the range in Games Of Liverpool and I couldn't really understand what the issue was. After all, generally a dungeon battle was  not a massive affair  and the appeal of large, neat renditions of the party and their foes was apparent to me, at least.

But, they sank without a trace...

Now, we flash forward 35 years or so, and we are seeing similar products in 30mm scale, which frankly can't hold a torch (or dark lantern for those of the Thief class) to the larger ancestors and which frankly look like something from a Christmas cracker, punted out at a premium price.

How fickle we were, but how readily we accept inferior pap in this age of convenience and instant gratification. £85 for a dozen man sized figures and a dragon, which I'd have been ashamed to have painting as an 8-year old. As with so many things, we have come full circle, but with less soul and inferior aesthetic values.

I am sorely tempted to get out there and track down those old 'toys' and use them, if only for the deviltry of watching the faces of my fellow players...


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...