Another project becomes 'table ready', the fleet sets sail in the imagination, and cars collide in the dust of post-petrol America

 Work has been a series of 10-hour days again, this week, but I managed to squeeze in a few little things, such as replacing the flag poles on my Perry British, to accept the slightly earlier standards from GMB, I have used to identify the Leicestershire, Norfolk and Highland regiments, making up the 'English' elements of my 2nd Anglo-Afghan War army.

I was pretty busy first thing on Saturday and I'm pretty washed out with a nasty cough and cold (that's all it is, but after being locked away fro 18 months, you forget the joys of the traditional seasonal pests) so it was about 1PM before I forced myself to get off my arse and go to the studio.

Well, about 4 hours later, I had drybrushed, flocked and added shrubbery to the bases of over 200 models, and I'd cut, fitted and touched up the half dozen flags, bringing the Afghan War project to table ready status.

I do still have about 6 British and 4 Afghan general officers to finish, but as you can see, it's a damned fine colection now:









 And when it hit the shelf, with the Afghans, it looked pretty damned fine, I'm sure you'll agree:


If I laid out the elements in a straight line, there would be around 50 linear feet of troops. And to think that the inspiration for this back in January was this picture, on the Perry Miniatures Facebook page:


Until then, I had no intention of gaming the period, but I am so glad I did. I have played a few colonial games in my time, but they were 15mm and to WRG or MOD Games lists which invariably had a few western troops mowing down hordes. But, on a decent sized table in 28mm and with rules which place an accent on having fun with a group of likeminded friends, I think theres so much potential for great battles with plenty of colour.

I intend to add limbers for the artilery, 2 more Bengal cavalry and 1 Sikh infantry units as well as a bit more artilery and regular cavalry for the Afghans, just to round it out to my satisfaction.

It may be that I also take on another colonial project in the future, but I am undecided as yet.

I've been getting an unhealthy interest in Navwar 1/3000th after 40+ years of being 'clean', so that itch may need a good scratch.

I'm also busy collecting original Car Wars stuff, and as soon as I finish up here, I'll be sprawled on the bed with several issues of Auto Duel Quarterly from the 80s, as I am shattered and want to avoid going into the studio until 8AM Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...