Grumbling On...

 

It occurs to me that Warlord Games have lost the plot when it comes to pricing on plastics.
 
They are asking £22.50 for 20 plastics, which is frankly ridiculous and is exactly what GW (no surprises then, given the people behind it) did after they convinced us that plastic was the future.
 
But that price gives you no encouragement to buy them. The saving is nominal against metal, there's a lot of building before you can get started on painting, and in many cases the re-issued Wargames Factory figures just suck when compared to other companies.
 
What's more, from where I stand, you are creating a lot more waste with plastic sets, as the amount of crap you have left over is amazing.
 
I am also at a loss to work out where all the second hand armies are these days...
 
You've always been able to pretty much find anything you wanted on the second hand market, and there have always been armies out there, ripe for the picking.
 
The few shows which still have bring and buys (an essential for a show in my opinion, otherwise you just have the same stuff to offer as any other show)  don't have many decent armies on offer, eBay is likewise not supplying a steady flow as you might expect, for the most part.

So what's happened?
 
Are gamers uncharacteristically hanging onto their armies, or does the new 'normal' of wargaming with a regiment and calling an army, beginning to signal a real change in the second hand market?

I do hope not.

My decison not to attend Fiasco this weekend, is simply because it will have nothing I could not get or see, at Partizan. Now, the smaller Recon show in December has a B&B and I have grabbed a few nice items there in the past. Alas, I can't get there this year as it clashes with the Human League playing Leeds. With 4 Scottish Terriers and a Westie, we'd have to race back from the show, feed and exercise them and then leave them again to race back up the M1, and frankly, that won't be happening.

So, are we living in times when armies are no longer armies, with those people who still have traditional sized forces hanging on to them, or is there now a secret underground market, I am not tapped into?

Perhaps 'Gentleman Wargamers' of a certain vintage will become the new Spivs, offering their WRG based armies from suitcases at the entrance to shows, smoking those forbidden pipes, and sartorially and olfactorily attracting those of us, tired of 'small battalions' and greasy haired, food spattered basement dwellers wearing the same clothes with the same stains as they did two years ago, rucksacks swinging as they waddle from stall to stall in search of the next pack of figures to build that new faction?


 
Speaking of the unwashed, the same guy who almost blinded me at York with his amazing B.O, was at Partizan. My wife was coming away from the cafe area, and he'd just passed me, and the wave as he approached her, hit her too. At 6 feet she actually retched, and when she got to me she said 'God, that was him and it's the same T-shirt.' I kid you not...
 
Sir, if you read this, please get in touch and I will gladly forgo a pack of figures and will instead send you soap, a comb and some decent quality deodrant along with a small pack of washing powder by recorded delivery.



Comments

  1. Trends change. We still have a few historicals gamers at the club, but they'll generally pick a period for that year's project and that's it.

    Everyone else with disposable income at our club is into fantasy and sci fi. I'm often offloading either abandoned projects or forces I'm not playing any more - but they're Infinity factions, Malifaux crews, or Warhammer forces. Even the painted stuff I'm offloading is just Not Your Thing.

    You have your tastes in forces from what I've seen you talk about on this blog - large, mostly metal, specific paint styles - and that's not everyone's taste. That might mean the second hand market for your interests is a little smaller than it was.

    The other thing is that an awful lot of people I know paint their models to play games. With the past year and a half of awful, while some people have plugged away at their painting, others, with no prospect of getting in person games in sight, got demotivated and painted less. Right now, I think people are more likely to be missing gaming and wanting to use their armies rather than pass them on...

    So, a blip due to the weirdness of the past year, or a more long term change in gaming tastes? I'm not sure which it is . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Points noted, and I see where you are coming from, but there has always been a large second user market, which, apart from the half painted or remorse sales, seem to have dried up. At first the word on the street was 'eBay', but there's nothing there. Dark times I tell you. Dark, dark times...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...