How To Avoid Wasting Money On 28mm Sci-Fi Follies....

 Well, it's been a very, very busy week here.

I've had builders in, extending my patio by a third, and then raising the whole thing by 8 inches and incorporating it into my driveway, since I bought the land last year and did some fencing. It means that the trek from concervatory, 20 feet to the gaming room will be much nicer.

So, the home improvements we wanted are all done within the year, but we've had to change our plans to go into the countryside and enjoy a nice autumnal lunch have been kaiboshed, as the builders elected to work all weekend to get it done, and what a job they have done.

Today they finished the laying of the Indian stone slabs, and on Sunday they will be coming back to add the resin protective coating, which will also reveal the wonderful autumnal shades of the stone - so much nicer than a uniform hue, I think.

So, I have 'cabin fever', which has me reaching for albums I've not listened to for ages. Having just popped on 'God's Own Medicine' by The Mission:

 


 I realised that its 35 years since I played in the Nationals in Reading and then became a Goth a week or so later, setting me on course for some interesting and upsetting times, along with some lasting friendships and meeting my wife... That was a rollercoaster 5 years I can tell you, and nearly saw me wiped out.

Those aural bullets always seem to find their target.

Moving on, you'll recall I mentioned the awful curse I live under which, makes me buy 28mm sci-fi as the nights close in?

Well, I have beaten it this year, by the simple expedient of buying a massive 15mm Dwarf army at under bare metal price:














I'll spend the winter rebasing and adding new banners, but it's a monster of an army with over 750 pieces:

96 Dwarf heavy armoured infantry
136 Dwarf armoured infantry
440 Dwarf warriors
36 Dwarf cross bowmen
24 Dwarf skirmishers
4 artillery models and crews
20 command figures
1 general mounted on war pig
 
I'll add a couple of dozen pony mounted cavalry and then it's done!
 
One bonus to not going anywhere this weekend, was that I have dragged myself to my studio and painted 4 more vessels for my retro starship fleet.
 
This time it's the larger vessels of the 'Deep Penetration Squadron, AKA 'The Purple Penetrators' who are often fond deep in the enemy rear.
 
They are all named after managers and original staff of Games Workshop Sheffield with two battleships the ISS Berry and ISS Harrisson, with the two heavy cruisers, ISS Brough and ISS Steele. These of course join the two carriers, the ISS Armstrong and ISS Gilbride, which I showed you a couple of post ago:





I think that brings the painted total to 36, with 3 cruisers (ISS Brook, ISS Tickhill and ISS Castleton and two Dreadnoughts ( ISSLivingstone and ISS Jackson) still to paint.

And that's about it for this instalment. I'm planning to research and write about the dreams of locals, involving the city during Covid-19, but that's a large and rather off the wall topic that will have to wait a while...


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...