Maybe I'm becoming curmudgeonly...

 Almost 35 years ago, I somewhat feverishly bought the first edition of Warhammer 40,000 and the next day I was down at the Escafeld Kreigsspielers club, trying it out. In terms of structure it was a Laserburn On Steroids feeling as you had no army lists and despite the rather gauche 'Space Orcs', it was a fun game.

However, like many things this was a short term association, thanks mostly to the fact that I didn't really enjoy the EK club and secondly, at the time I was really throwing myself into it the following Summer, as the range of figures increased and White Dwarf propaganda machine gave more and more rules to try out, my relationship was spiralling, nay plummeting to a really messy end, which would see me become a recluse for almost a year, only leaving my bedsit in the small hours of the morning, flitting wraithlike around the streets.

I was totally adrift from my best friends and was close to 'taking care of things'. So, gaming was on the back burner.

Anyway, I digress...

I have made several aborted attempts at trying out later versions of the game  over the last decade or so, and I was considering trying to play it again the other day.

But I fear that the modern super-super-soldiers just don't  work for me. I know it's just a crass scale leap to create a new market, and I do like the new anti-grav vehicles, which should have been canon from the outset rather than the bollocks WW1 styled stuff . However, I just can't bring myself to pay the prices which are ridiculous, even to someone like myself who is no stranger to 4-figure army spends.

And the way that the figures have become a lot less colourful to fit the depresing dystopianism, which is en vogue these days, makes me even less enthusiastic about buying a ready painted army.

And don't get me started on the old 'pro painted' chestnut.

So, I fear that I maybe slipping into curmudgeonly ways. I think I could yet be turned, but it's a slim chance.

It's a busy week in my studio, and as I go through audiobooks like a kamikaze pilot goes through underwear, I found myself listening to 'Substance: Inside New Order' written and read by Peter Hook.

It's a brilliant listenn, and at 20 hours long, it's an in-depth look at an iconic band with highs, lows and tons of wit.

Well, if you will excuse me, I will sign off. I had a 'top up' steroid injection today for my arthritis, and true to form it's given me a bit of a throbbing head, so I think I need some fooed, wine and improving video based entertainment.


TTFN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...