A Problem Of Size

 I am faced by one of those terrible decisions faced by the veteram gamer from time to time.

Today, I shall be taking ownership after an exchange of funds and small talk, around 1300 28mm ACW figures.

However, these models are organised in 12 man units, which makes my grognard DNA recoil slightly, when I recall the Gilder days.

However, I then consider that traditionally many rule sets for the 19th century used a 1:50 figure to man ratio, which would mean that these unit are fine.

At this point I hear the ghost of Gilder scratching at my door and the spirit of Wise whispering that it's OK.

Now, the other point, is that there's around 100 units there:


That means a lot of flags and a lot of potential for throwing around brigades. In fact the pic above illustrates the point perfectly, being an example of some of the models I have agreed to buy.

So, if I enlarge the sizes of the units, I end up being able to table less units and therefore risk a less spectacular experience visually.

With a smaller regimental footprint, the area of play is enlarged. My ECW and WOTR units are 36 figures and have a large footprint. This is okay for my 'basic' play area of 12x5 as the periods are not ones with particularly 'industrial' weapons & tactics, but of course as armies get larger and weapons improve, there's a need for larger areas to accurately depict brigade manoeuvers . Afer all, what is the point of attempting a series of brilliantly conducted oblique wheels if the unit is so bloody wide that the opposition can simply reach out and touch it's flanks? Even on a 6-8 foot wide table a 36 figure unit in two ranks will have a frontage of 1 and a half feet, and will be at risk if it wheels, even on the base line.

So, I think on reflection, that I'll not tinker much with these units as they don't look bad at all, thhanks to dynamic posing and the sheer bloody volume. Now, if I can just find those silver dice and my copy of WRG 6th, I can get on with exorcising Gilder's ghost from my games room...


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...