Holiday Time!

 Hi all,

Well, after 7 really, really busy months, I get a chance to take my annual Summer holiday. Essentially, as normal it's 3 and half weeks of galleries, restaurants and not touching a paintbrush.

It's a pretty lucky thing that I stopped when I did, as I have had to request an emergency steroid shot due to my left hand deciding that the psoriatic arthritis and tendonitist should be allowed a free run of the store.

So, Monday, I need to drop into the hospital, get a needle in my backside and get some more biologicals to deal with it. By Wednesday I should be a lot sweeter of mood, because this week I've been like a bear with his balls caught in a gin trap as I pulled 11 hour days. Once that's done, I'm off to Bakewell for the weekly market and a bit of nice lunch somewhere.

Today has been packed with things domestic:

Woke with a scream at 04:46

Haircut (because scaring myself in the mirror is becoming a drag and besides, the world needs to be able to gaze upon my rugged beauty)

Refuse tip (it was that or have a the world's first Volvo skip)

Sainsburys (baguette and a jar of truffle mayo (real truffles not synthetic crap)

Tidying up the games room

Snoozing in an armchair in said room with intervals to read 'English Journey' by J.B Priestley to whom I am somehow related on my maternal side.

I've not had much time to do much game related, but now I have 3 weeks to plan the next campaign season after winter quarters.

At present, I am looking at gertting an early Parliamentarian army put together, and then I fear that  I may turn towards the East, and build Polish and Ottoman armies. These are armies I've owned in 15mm, but never in 28mm, so it's really starting to pique my wargaming curiosity in the same way which led to the demise of the feline.

Off to Britcon next Saturday and then onto Chillcon the week after as it's 10 minutes from the front door of Fackham Hall.

I've not got a shopping list, because I want very little. I had contemplated a Mikes Models Turks army, but it seems my compadre and BFAM has still not opened the hundreds of MM 16th century he kept on banging on about buying.

It also seems that he has sent a load of ECW of to our painter which is now slwing down my own stuff  - and I always pay in full in advance! Foul magycks indeed!

But joking aside, it's all good as my old friend has had a few stresses to deal with of late, and the notion that he will soon have more figures to distract him, is good news. However, I must of course play the role of the wounded party for all it's worth.

That kind of thing is a mutual contractual obligation.

I am muling over the 80s a lot of late, as I work. I'm constantly finding music that I completely missed in my youth as I diced, wenched and rocked my days away. I did watch a 1993 episode of TOTP last night and was glad I was busy with a young daughter back then, because - and allow me to be frank - it was a musically shite period. 

I almost bought a GW Orc army yesterday, but I managed to calm myself and see sense. Thankfully I didn't tell Roger about that. The derision would have been terminal.

Our Scottie, Maggie is doing really well. It's four weeks almost to the minute since she had to have the emergency operation, and thankfully she is thriving. She was genuinely at Death's door, so to see her running around, begging for anything which smells vaguely interesting and, just being here, is a great relief.


She missed her monthly grooming parlour visist in July, so she's looking rather shaggy, but other than that, she's got her zest for life back, with interest.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have just spotted a coppy of the Standard Games classic 'Starship Captain' under one of the benches in my studio, so I am going to dig it out and give myself a shot of nostalgia.

I have to wait another 12 days to open the package containg the three volumes on the Italian Wars by Helion & Co, so any distraction is a welcome one.


TTFN

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

Terrain Mats For Games - The finest tactical teddybear fur!