HOUSE!

 I was ploughing through eBay the other day apropo of nothing in particular, when I came across a rather nice find in the sahpe of a shed load of ready built Metcalfe 1/72 (HO/OO) carstock buildings. Now, these are not cheap, with a pair of terraced houses costing around £7.

Being an old school gadfly of a gamer, I could imediately see the potential for battles along British streets with 20mm models, so I was in like Flynn and the bidding war began, and ended last night with a £135 winning bid. Here are a couple of shots of what I won:



As you can see there are around 60 dwellings and shops. One or two need some TLC, but crucially, none were ever stuck down to the model railway display layout from which they came. The owner/builder has also weathered them so scenarios set in the working class North will feature a-plenty.

So, let's see:


The Miners Strike

VBCW

The Winter of 79

The Volgan Invasion of the UK, 1982

Operation Sealion

70s Police action

80s and 90s riots

Cthulhu Takes Heckmondwike

"Threads"

The Energy Price Rebellion of 2023


And that's just for starters. The sheer number of 20mm scale models and kits mean that I can get a lot of bang for my bucks out of this lot.

I'll prbably begin with the requisite repairs and then create self contained rows of houses with gardens and pavements which can be placed on a grey cloth to create blocks and streets as the mood takes me. I'' possibly add a few more features as well as street furniture. I might even add a police station etc.

The point is, I can put down a serious looking urban environment and then have some real old style wargaming fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...