The Last One Of 2022

 Wow! 2022 has rocketed past, hasn't it? Here we are with my last post of 2022, and it's been a curious week...

Despite having a very enjoyable 3 weeks off work, I've been on a real melancholic vibe. I confess that at one point I was so convinced that nothing was interesting to me, that I looked up Dignitas, which gave the memsahib some concern. But, boy have I felt disconnected to everything for a few days.

I'm not fully out of it, but I'm at least looking at other things somewhat.

I have been reflecting on whether I should have done more with my life than just live and breathe gaming. On one hand, I may be seen as something of a failure, being as I am a painter and owner of a nice range of 28mm old school inspired fantasy models. But, I have a home that is my own (well subject to a few more years of mortgage payments) I'm not rich, but I am arguably comfortable enough to have an expensive hobby, eat at decent restaurants and keep 5 dogs - so what more do I need?

11 years ago, my father berated me for giving up a secure civil service job 'on spec' to become a full-time painter, but I have worked hard and get great satisfaction from seeing others own my work, and really enjoy doing so.

So why am I so down on myself? I'm buggered if I know, quite frankly, but as I said, the melancholoy has been palpable for a few days.

On the more positive side, I've been reading more from the excellent 'Dice Men' which is a really  entertaining and enlightening history of the formation and flourishing of Games Workshop in it's first decade. I genuinely consider it a 'must read'.

I've managed to hit my target of having all the infantry for my retro sci-fi project painted and based in the manner I'd have done them in the early 80s. It's actually great fun, 'forgetting' how to paint and just knocking out stuff to be played with regardless of any third party opinions.




I am pretty solid however, that I won't be adding much more to my stable of miniatures after mid 2023, because I have no interest in buying stuff 'just because I can' or to follow a trend. I'm just not wired like that anymore.

My next and I truly believe, final project will be a late 17th century set-up of around 1000-1200 pieces, but I'm not sure which manufacturer to go with. I'd considered 30YW, but my gaming buddy has enough already, so I figured that I may as well go in a different direction whilst staying with my favourite type of warfare. There's plenty to interest me whilst also having enough ' grey areas' to stimulate me out of feeling so damned  'washed up'.

Helion & Co have some excellent looking books by Bruno Mugnai, and indeed, I am waiting for several to arrive, as I type.

I'm considering which show sto attend too. I am tempted by Vapnartak and Hamerhead, but not by Partizan. In March there's the Steel Warrior show here in Sheffield, but as of yesterday the trader list is still a whopping 8. So, whether I'll go or not, I just don't know. If they have more traders, the website should be upgraded. With about 12 weeks to the show, I would expect the list of attendees to be considerably larger by now.

It's looking like the last days of Triples - not surprising when you look at those behind both.

Beyond those shows, I dunno if I can be bothered with walking around a hall, looking at the 'same old, same old'.

** EDIT: The first book was delivered as I write - HUSSAH! **

It appears that Grand Manner is closing it's doors this year, so I will probably have to buy a few final pieces to round out my collection. I hope £200 should do the trick as it's mostly 'atmosphere' pieces rather than buildings. 

I played my first game of 'Tilly's Very Bad Day' on Tuesday, and it's a nice system. Ten turns were played by 4 people in 4 hours, and whilst abstract, the play is fun and fluid. Roger organised the game, and as is the way, I hosted it, with a retro 80s lunch put on by the memsahib.  A good day was had, with Roger flying to Europe to see his in-laws the next day. 

In one of thse grat ironic moments of wargaming, my own set of rules arrived on Wednesday - Bugger!

I'm thinking of taking some memory walks in the coming year, trying to retrace favourite childhood routes across the city in search of games. This will be interesting, as Sheffield is vastly different now, so whether memories are triggered or not, is in the balance. I may even write about them.

Anyway, it's New Years Eve, and I am off to my Brother's for a boardgame and buffet night. I'm not at all interested in staying up until midnight, so I'll be in bed by 22:00.

That said, I'd like to thank you all for reading my ramblings for another year and wish you al a wonderful, fruitful and peaceful new year in 2023.

 

TTFN




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...