Of Friendships, Chaos And Satanic Panic

 After I posted the last article the other day, a friend of some 35 years commented that he used to wargame in the rooms above Gunson's Repair Services, as did I.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, because I did not meet him there as our timelines didn't cross, but rather I met him when I was going through my Goth phase (yes, I was involved in sacking Rome, but only on club nights) and we had just hit it off due to our musical and sartorial tastes.

I then visited his parent's home and it turned out that he was also a gamer (one of those wierd ones who have a thing about Napoleon - all very unhealthy). We have been friends ever since, but it wasn't gaming which introduced us and the fact that we passed so close to each other as gamers amazes me.

The other day, I also came across a range of Dixon Miniatures 'Chaos Samurai' I'd not seen before. In total it was around 20 models and I found them on the Keep Wargaming website, tucked away in a dark corner.

Some of them were perfect to use as character figures for a Japanese fantasy army, particularly as Dai Bakemono, so I purchased a few.





As is usual when one finds something 'new' in the old school world, I went over to my chat groups and people began to ponder on the matter of whom the sculptor was. 

I reached out to Trevor Dixon who, despite it being the weekend was kind enough to give me a little background on them. The range was discontinued and sold on, about 30 years ago, and were designed by one John Vickers who did a bit of sculpting in his spare time. I love little stories like that, as they give the history of the hobby depth and texture.

I love these chaps and the have a style redolent of Nick Lund married with Jez Goodwin in his Asgard days.

Hopefully today, I'll make a start on painting them. Yes, I know I normally send stuff to my painter, but I do like to take the odd characterful model and apply some paint, particularly if like these, I've never painted them before.

The Satanic Panic Miniatures latest Kickstarter, a range of old school inspired Trolls is in the last 10 days of the campaign and is a mere £57 from the funding target. These are big lads (and lasses) sure to put the fear of Og into their opponents on the tabletop.

You can find the KS page HERE

 
















And with that, I shall go nd have a shower and crack on with thos Samurai...


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...