More Bloody Orcs...

 Well, yesterday saw the inaugural 'Steel Warriors' at the Magna Centre in Rotherham, hosted by the some of those who brought the Triples show to Sheffield as part of Sheffield Wargames Society until it passed away following short illness a few years ago.

We didn't attend, in fact a good few local 'faces' didn't bother attending, preferring instead the rather dire Chillcon, next weekend, which let's face it, is never going to 'replace' Triples, but does at least have a following for all it's myriad faults.

At about midday yesterday, this was the 'official' view of the show:



Now, let's look at the hall in question. It's not small, and the brochure states:

  • Dinners up to 1,000 guests
  • Conferences up to 3,500 delegates
  • Concerts and gigs up to 5,000 attendees
  • Exhibitions and trade shows up to 1,500 delegates

It costs in the region of upwards of £5000 just for the space, let alone the licences, insurance etc, required for most events.

The door price was £5 and a trade table was £75. If we generously assume that each of the 12 traders paid for to table that takes care of £1800. Assume that the bring and buy organiser paid around £250 for the space, the we just claw over the £2000 mark. Now I don't know about you, but that looks like a very small punter presemce, and you'd need 600 to get to the 5K mark.

I leave you to make up your own mind, but if this was me organising that event, I'd not dare post pics like that. 

There are venues which could have hosted the stuff you see there for around £250, locally...

 Moving on, it's been a busy week, as I continue to plough through the opening and sticking down of 500 Nick Lund Orcs. As I type, I've just got the first 200 into that happy state. I'm using 18 figure units which are just right for older editions of Warhammer, so its 12 units down and 19 more to go...

The bundle of trouble which is Penny, our newest addition to the pack of Scotties we keep for perimeter security, is settling in very well, and I fear she may end up the dominant dog, as even 'Big Maggie' a 20KG monster of a Scottie, is having a right old time keeping Penny in line.

I've also been revisiting childhood this week, reminiscing about some of the fantastic toys I had, such as Super Flightdeck, Vertibird, Ricochet Racers and Mobile Action Command. There were games like Conquest and some amazing puzzles by Skirrid such as I.Q and OZ which were as important to me at 13 years old as D&D or indeed any other RPGs or wargames. 

I will write more on this subject at a later date, but for now I will leave you in a state of antici...




...pation, and bid you a fond adieu,


TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...