Pity For Those Who Show Pity

It's funny how I sometimes run into people who, see the fact that I am a full time, 50 hours per week, figure painter, as some kind of failure in life.

So, as I was mulling this yesterday, let me set the record straight...

Until April the 16th, 2011, I worked in the civil service, delivering front line services to the unemployed, case working in immigration and chasing down absent parents who were not supporting their children. And, I think I was good at it. On top of that, I also literally wrote the instruction book on the methodology of moving the unemployed from girocheque payments to bank accounts and the hurdles involved for those with no previous 'footprint' in the banking system. Oh, and did I mention I'd also worked as an anti-social behaviour officer in some of the worst sinkhole estates?I have seen and witnessed things which could seriously challenge the world view of The Guardian's readership, and it was intellectually interesting to do so.

As you can see, I loved taking on nasty and unsavoury roles, because I learned a lot and met people who, if given half a chance and a friendly ear, were capable of so much.

Along the way I had a former armed robber, un conversation with a 7 foot tall, former armed robber, had someone drop his trousers to show me his tattoos and helped a prostitutue who was late for her appointment because a customer had broken her arm and she was in hospital, get her benefits reinstated after a twat, who was working out hist days to retirement, did what he always did and penalised anyone who came to his desk.

So, on that day, having just returned to the employment service after a stint at the Environment Agency (I could tell you some stories about how these so-called eco-friendly companies, flout the rules, but alas, I'd be breaking confidentiality) and completed the required re-education, I was sitting literallt in the middle of the office, on a chair, but without a desk or indeed a role. I'd been like this for over a week, and was being very well paid for doing so. 

But you see, that was not why I got into that kind of work, and so, after being told that I'd once again be holding the solo chair spinning competition, I stood up, handed in my securyity bleeper, pass and door widget and said 'I quit'.

They told me that I couldn't, but being me, I proved the contrary.

I went home and by chance, the memsahib was at home that day, and asked me why I was home. I explained, and when enquired what I was going to do, I said I was going to paint figures for a living.

My late father said it was a big mistake and I showed him what I needed to make to match my civil service wage, and he was not convinced. Well, 12 years later, he's dead and I am still painting, and making more than I did in the service, as well as being able to breakfast with the memsahib who despite being technically employed in Westminster, normally works from home, as well as being able to have a home full of Scottish Terriers.

I work hard, it's true, but what a job. I work to very high standards, and do so consistently. I use the best quality materials which impove the product for my clients, and consider my work to be something of a legacy product which will far outlast me on this dirtball. But still, some people see this as a 'low end' job.

And I laugh...

Look, I have an extensive knowledge of all kinds of paints, going back almost 45 years, several types of which are not even made anymore. I have wide knowledge of uniforms, a 100% accurate ability to see difference in the pantone scale (yes I have been tested for that) and have a serious number of painting trophies from when those kinds of things mattered to me. And as I have said, I make a comfortable living, which is why I have not even begun to tap the cashflow which could be tappd from my Satanic Panic Miniatures project, and also why you don't see me with trade stands at shows. Thus I can enjoy my hobby, although I don't paint my own stuff, apart from commanf models and vignettes. This week alone, I have had to turn away three potentially long term clients, so my business model appears to be a solid one. 

The memsahib says that I should pop out and get a Masters degree as she did, but to be honest, it would be a waste of my time, because it serves no purpose, doing what I do.

I'd love to take some time out to write a second book on a life spent playing games, as well as update my original (which still generates royalties a decade or more after release) but first and foremost I paint figures, and in doing so leave lots of little bits of 'me' across the globe. It's a pretty good feeling.

So, if you pity me for what I do, please look at yourself in the mirror rather than holding your mirror to me. You are misinformed, but I forgive you that misunderstanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...