All Systems Are Go

 Well, another weekend shot past me, almost unnoticed, but I did manage to further my gaming and also touch base with fellow gamers to discuss plans and stratagems, which is always good.

We talked over the French Indian Wars idea and it fell flat, so I crossed it from my bucket list (I did achieve it after all) and moved it on, within hours of listing it.

As my previous plans with one friend have dissolved, multiple new and brighter paths have opened before me and I have to say that the positive vibes and more certain outlook are very encouraging. 

I have never been a gamer who has focussed on either historical or fantasy exclusively, neither have I been a fanboy for a particular manufacturer, so I have enjoyed the hobby in the widest way possible.  This means that I've enjoyed building armies which use the maximum variety of models and have not become so serious and staid due to wishing to be seen as a 'serious' wargamer, that I have disappeared up my own arse. There is a prevailing view that if you are not a historical gamer, you are somehow inferior and not serious about your hobby. Likewise, if you don't play 'THAT' set of fantasy rules you are not a 'serious' fantasy gamer.

Well, I say that if you are unwilling to open your eyes and hearts to gaming in all of it's forms, shapes and flavours, it is in fact you who lacks the chops.

Spent your life collecting 20,000 Napoleonics? Well done you, but look at what you missed. Look at the fund you diverted from other companies selling interesting stuff. You are really just the wargaming equivalent of an 'Incel', locking yourself away in the parental basement of the hobby... 

I realised that after I declared I'd wash my hands of fantasy gaming 3 years ago, I was actually betraying the roots of my entry to the hobby and denying myself the opportunity to get together with some friends.

When there was the Christmas amnesty during Lockdown in 2021, I had arranged a game which would have seen 8 of us get together for a game. However a friend opined that he wanted a more intimate game, and so in the end it was myself, him and his son, because I wanted to please him, and in doing so denied other friends the opportunity to get together during what were tough times, to play with toy soldiers, throw verbal abuse at each other and have a good lunch. 

I was a complete twat for doing that. Let the record clearly show that.

That will not happen again. If you don't want to be part of a larger circle, then simply put, you can fuck right off, and don't forget your coat... 

I am working hard on this year's games and last night I placed n order for bases which was eye-watering with a total of 350 40x40 bases, 70 60x40 bases and 70 50x50 bases. I have yet to break the news to the Memsahib that she will be basing a LOT of toys (but she will be well recompensed of course) over the next 6 months.

On Saturday I commissioned a load more fantasy and historical figures from my painters (yes I now have 3 painters working on stuff) , so I think that apart from stuff I want to paint myself - mostly large creatures and character pieces - all of my 'wants'list is fully covered.

Yesterday, I spent 6 hours working on 224 Essex Miniatures Goblins that arrived on Friday. I paid bare metal price for them and they had rudimentary paint work, thus:

6 hours later they were pleasingly 80s looking, thus:





Once based, they will look fine and fit for the purpose they were meant for - PLAYING GAMES with.

Well, if you will excuse me, I have just seen the time, and another working week calls.


TTFN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...