Almost Another Year Done With...

 Hi all,

Well, the second game took place and was a refight of the ECW game we played back in the Summer. The outcome was surprisingly similar, even though the sides were swapped and another player added.

The Bridge was once again the choke point and killing ground.

All in all another great day, so that's all that matters.

I have however postponed the third game, as I am unexpectedly busy with arranging assorted design visits and quotes for replacing the doors and wondows to the front of the house, changing a few radiators (despite doing it two years ago - all for aesthetic reasons) and arranging for designers to come and argue with me about how they see our bedroom looking and how we actually want it.

We have 8 people coming for New Year's Day lunch and so the logistics of that are getting in the way, along with taking family out for lunch at Fox House today.

I'm just grateful that I'm much healthier than two weeks ago.

On Thursday, the Memsahib and I had a rather wonderful lunch out at the Cavendish Restaurant at Chatsworth where as one would expect, the food was wonderful.

At just shy of £100 for lunch, we had


Drinks

Assorted artisan breads with wonderful butters, including a cheeky squid ink number

 

Memsahib: 

Parsnip soup 

Sea Bass with fondant potato, cream sauce, fondant potatoes and tenderstem

Blackberry Financier with clotted cream ice cream


Myself:

Beetroot infused Gravadlax with clementine gel

Daube of beef on parsnip puree with bourgignon accents and pea shoots

Blackberry Financier (oh, it's so good)


Petit Fours 

Coffee

It was so good, I booked yet again, for next week, as I am extending my holiday by a week - because I'm worth it and at 55, I'm just going to live a little and to hell with society.

The house hunting continues, but we have decided on one location, where properties are sparse. There's no rush, but a bit of local recon is always a good thing, isn't it?

I've finalised the wargames budget for 2024 and it's a pretty pathetic £4000. And surprisingly that will be more than I need, hence the low figure. I'm happy with what I have and where I am with my hobby.

So, I fear I may buy a hi-fi, a duffel coat (they are frankly, fucking expensive if you want something decent - and I do) and a sheepskin flying jacket. I reckon that will take £2k.

Even with that, I'm well below the normal budget for wargaming alone, so I'm either dying or I've reached a sort of metaphorical wargaming Agartha.

2023 has been a year of mixed blesings. I'm over last Christmas now, thanks to friends and family sitting and listening, and advising me when I was at my lowest. I've lost weight due to giving up booze and yesterday, I found that I now need jeans which are 4 inches less in the waist, taking me back to the late 90s - quite a shock.

Anyway, time flies and I have to finish preparing for the day's fun.

I'd like to wish you all a Happy New Year and a year of excellent gaming and good fortune in 2024.

So, until next year,

TTFN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...