Tempus Fugit

 Has it really been six days?

Illness and sickness are not the same thing... And for probably only the second time in my life, I am 'ill' and, it's not funny at all, nor does it have any redeeming factors, other than it has made me take stock and reflect on a few things. C'est la vie.

I've not been doing much at all, despite it being my my annual Christmas break. In fact, as it stands, Christmas is cancelled for the most part, because I lack my traditional enthusiasm for it.

I dragged my sorry carcass up to the crematorium to where the memorial to my grandparents is, and had a 'family chat' and it was whilst I was there that I made a few decisions and reached some conclusions. The wind and rain up there on the hillside had a wonderfully focusing effect on me, feeling as grubby as I did. 

1. A friend who cannot accept you for who you are anymore, is no friend. Move on.

2. Losing two parents, two years apart, even when (and particularly when) you were estranged, is going to fuck you up and probably cause trauma. Address it.

3. Constantly trying to 'improve' yourself means that there ceases to be a 'true' you. You disregard your past at your peril. If you have to reinvent yourself to engage with someone, you're running scared. OK, I already knew this, but it's something worth pointing out.

4. When people you know die, part of you dies, unless you actively uphold traditions. Keep the traditions and the people live on. 

But, 'where's the gaming?' I hear you cry...

Oh it's here... I'm just lacking my 'froth' a little, at present.

The table is set up for the first of the Christmas games. Given the number of players and the volume of models, I've gone for a fairly straightforward layout:


Since I took the pic, a couple of marshes have been added at the far end of the table.

Last week, I received another big box of 28mm fantasy from my painter, meaning that I am only waiting for 1200 or so now. Yes, I already have more than enough, but remember 'Operation Weird Shit' is a not your usual 3000pt army thing. It's a massive undertaking encompassing everything and following a generic 'Good vs Evil' theme. My average 'detachment' is larger than the average fantasy army.

My painter is enjoying a very well deserved break in the Highlands, refreshing and replenishing his soul as well as recovering his sanity, I would guess.

Anyway, here's what arrived:







There are Ogres, Trolls, Goblin Wolf Riders, City Elves, Wood Elves, Sea Elves (all armed differently to give them character) and Men Of The Mark on horses and foot.

There are also more Bloody Miniatures 28mm ECW skirmish, but for some reason I forgot to take a shot of those.

These won't be on the table until the new year, with the exception of the Goblins. For no other reason than I really can't be bothered. Yes, I know, I'm a lazy bastard...

On January the 8th, once all of the  games are out of the way, I have my builder coming in to take my gaming room down. Like I said, I've been doing a lot of thinking and as the title says 'tempus fugit'.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...