Another week, another load of gaming stuff taken care of.

 Almost another weekend gone. Alas, alas...

Still, I am not complaining as I had a long weekend, last week and went to Vapnartak, as you will have read.

I bagged an original Ral Partha Golden Dragon this week. Sadly the original 80s box had to be binned as it was riddled with spores. It's a classic Tom Meier sculpt, which is one of my favourite models, due to not only the exquisite sculpting but the wonderfully sly pose.

This is the beast, albeit in a later 90s box...


I've already begun painting it (shock, horror, disbelief!) and I'll indeed be painting it with a metallic finish as is right and proper.

Yesterday, having been threatened by them for almost a year, as they sat unpainted and brooding in a corner of my studio, I cracked on with 20 feet of Hudson and Allen roads, and within 2 and a half hours, I had them to the point where all that was left to do was add grass and tufts.

As usual, I began with a spray primer and then applied alkyd washes before leaving them to dry for a few days. Then, yesterday, I got my arse in gear and drybrushed on various shades of taupe and white, with a tickle of ochre.


H&A didn't make a crossroads, so I cut up and converted a straight section which, I may say, turned out quite nicely indeed. I think we are down to the last 20 or so Grand Manner buildings now, and I am hoping the memsahib will crack on with those, this year.

She made a lovely job of the 25+ feet of Tree Fellas walls we bought at Vapnartak. She's added more drybrushing to mellow them out and has re-done the grass and added tufts to the verges. They look great and I think we'll add as much again for the Peninsular terrain collection because they are nicer than the designs from Grand Manner.

I've made my plans for the Napoleonic project. In addition to 5th Division, I'll be completing all of the British cavalry at Salamanca as well as adding the Light and 6th Divisions. I've just prepped up the first of the 3 battalions of 95th Rifles and they will be off to one of my painters in the morning.

Brigade Games have shipped my Spanish buildings, so I have no doubt a hefty demand for import taxes will be with me in due course. Grand Manner have still to ship my other Spanish buildings

My 'top' painter is going at a right old pace on the last half of my fantasy collection and I've asked him to paint more stuff. for me. He sent me so w.i.p shots of various stuff he's working on at present, being mostly Dark Dwarves from Gripping Beast and Essex Miniatures Knights of Evil:



I'm really pleased with how fast things are going thus far, and it's going to be a lovely collection once it's all done.

A friend was sending me loads of pics during Friday as he fought a battle with one of his sons, using my S.P.U.R.S fast play fantasy rules. The game looked great and knowing that something I have written is bringing enjoyment to others is really flattering and moreover, very satisfying.

I'm finding that the process of collecting 150+ of each fantasy race which I find pleasing aesthetically, rather than just collecting 'an army' is satisfying me greatly. My Orcs and Goblins are over 1000 models, but let's face it, they are a staple of fantasy gaming. Thinking of my collection as armies and kingdoms, engaged in a great struggle as we are always encouraged by 'mass battle rules' which only work as large scale skirmishes, means that I try to create forces which reflect the culture I imagine for each race. It actually negates the need for complex and limiting army lists.

My Elves are divided into Sea, High and Wood Elf brigades and are respectively, mixed shot & melee, spear, and missile armed. My cavalry is all 'Royal' and represents regiments of horse raised from all the racial groups, in the service of the Elven High King.

My Dark Dwarves are mainly spear armed heavy infantry with detachments of bowmen and group of savage wolf skin clad fanatics, whilst their 'goodly' brethren are the traditional mix of spear, bow and heavily armoured melee troops.

Just opening a box and taking a look can lead to ideas for games.

Well, the day passes onward and I must really get a few things done ere the sun sets...

 

TTFN



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...