Lost For Inspiration, But The Fantasy Continues To Expand...

 I confess, that I'm not getting as much gaming in as I may like, and it's all my own fault, because I have a games room filled with stuff related to the renovations, although the pile is now somewhat smaller and I can see the tables.

We had the builder quote for 5 more projects yesterday on the basis that we aim to get this place exactly as we want it when we retire.

There's a lot to be done, so I am already planning for how not to have to use the games room as a builders storage yard, and have been quite firm with my position in that regard.

As I write, it's 5:40 and I have been awake since 4AM. I'd hoped to find a new project which interested me over a first fruit tea of the day, but I confess that I really cannot find a period that gets my juices flowing.

This is both worrying and at the same time rather pleasing because it implies that whilst not tired of the hobby, I'm fulfilled with what I'm already doing.

But it has to be admitted that, after 46 years in this hobby I'm hitting a brick wall...
 
I'm looking for a 'small' project.
 
It cannot be skirmish
 
It must be able to be completed with both sides not exceeding 800 models because frankly I've had 7000 models painted in the last year and it's time I limited things a little.
 
It has to have the 'wow' factor
 
It has to have long term interest value
 
No 'one trick ponies'
 
And, nothing is leaping out at me, I am afraid. That said, I'm really pleased with my fantasy collection, which is still presenting new facets for me to explore. Indeed, I've been cyrating a list of classic Mark Copplestone Barbarians, Chaos Warriors and Wood Elves, replacing plastic stuff and adding more metal as well as increasing the collection as a whole.
 
I have friends who shake their heads at fantasy gaming, but I really don't understand why, because - let's be candid here - it's all fantasy gaming, however your little lead dollies are dressed. An Elf army is just a 100 Years War English army in fancy dress, at the end of the day, after all.
 
For me, it allows me to indulge the storyteller in my soul (something that so-call historical gamers of a more recent hive batch seem to do, along with certain big box companies when pushing their historical ranges) and fight large, varied battles of the type in the best fantasy fiction. It's great fun and never gets stale because you can just add a few more units of this race or another and it all changes yet again.
 
Games Workshop may have streamlined their races, but they also destroyed one of the greatest attarctions of fantasy gaming - VARIETY, oh, and imagination.
 
Well, the dawn is breaking, so I better get back to perusing catalogs and making shopping lists. I'm forcing myself to wait until after Partizan (restraint makes acquisition all the more piquant) to place my orders, although I will admit to taking delivery yesterday of 36 Creatures of Chaos from Asgard Miniatures, courtesy of Gavin at Alternative Armies.

++NEWS FLASH++

This Giant - a truly enormous model as many will know - just joined my collection, after a couple of emails to the seller and a price being agreed which was lower than the current price from Mirliton/Grenadier. So, there's a plus side to being awake and showered at 4AM...
 


 
And with that, I'll sign off...

TTFN

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...