Who The F**k Do You...

 Well, that's another weekend which has vanished under a hail of work...

Still, I have managed to base all of my o/s 28mm ECW skirmish and 3 units of Essex Miniatures, Knights Of Evil for my fantasy project, so it's not been all bad, I guess.

I was sent a somewhat angry message the other day, regarding a pic of my painting trophies and suchlike, demanding to know why I was showing a picture of someone else's awards. 

I sent a meek and mild email back asking if he was referring to one 'Gylfi Viorsson', to which an affirmative was forthcoming with an 'how dare I?' sort of rant.

Well, I explained, 'I am he... So, fuck off.'

And then, feeling a little abashed at my sharpness of tongue I explained the reason.

You see, when I was in my very early 20s and at a loose end due to being ostracized from my peer group to some extent, for daring to have a differing sartorial and musical outlook (How dare I?), I entered my 'wandering troubador' stage of life, and along with my wife, took a serious interest in Norse Heathen religious practices, becoming a novitiate priest (all legally recognised and official too) and taking (or rather being given) a Norse name based on my character and personality. That name was - you got it - Gylfi Viorsson. Gylfi being a King who was tricked out of his lands and Vior of course being Thor in his lightning aspect... So crudely translated I was Tricked Son Of The Lightning, as my Godhi took great amusement from tricking me during my training and I had a lightning fast temper back then.

My temper was legendary... 

On one of the holy days, we were at a local Norse site as darkness fell, sitting quietly and contemplatively in the trees, with other 'O-H-S' members, our baby daughter in her pram (how we got that into a woodland was an effort worthy of saga) when a large stone slammed into her face... 

Or rather it would have, had we not pulled the thick plastic rain hood over her to protect her from the last rising of midges.

I caught sight of a figure in the trees, and then it all went black... literally, I have zero memory, until I saw my Godhi standing on the edge of my vision, just slowly shaking his head, and about 5 feet from me, a pretty pale guy with a dog, apologising profusely.

I was stripped to the waist and was literally foaming at the mouth, appearing to have literally gone berserk. Holding me in check with just a gaze (dunno to this day how he did that, but it was a physical effect) my Godhi 'suggested' the chap take his dog and go home via the shortest route and he would make sure I didn't bite him in the arse...

The 'Viorsson' name was the result of that little incident. Apparently, I was a spectacle worth seeing as I went off like a bomb and literally became a glazed over, snarling animal. Not bad for a kid who had never said 'boo' to a goose.

My name was changed by Statutory Declaration (not the same as a simple Deed Poll) and so I became Gyfi, full time for a couple of years. In fact, to this day some still refer to me by that name and I don't mind, because it's a mark of respect.

Whilst I am pretty agnostic in my views, I am still respectful of the fact that there has to be 'something' more spiritually, but you may as well get me to swear an oath on a copy of Permanent Waves by Rush as much as any traditional holy book. In the names of Lee, Lifeson & Peart, I swear to tell the truth etc... Still, I can be very abusive in Old Norse, which is handy. Referring to someone as  a 'bale of hay used by a short legged pig to service a sow' is very satisfying, let me tell you.

And so, for a while, my painting entries were in my Heathen Name. So, there you go... Few of my old gaming buddies even know about that chapter in my life, so the sniping little message, has served to bring that story back to the fore.

We are now less than two weeks away from Partizan, where I'll be collecting my 28mm Naps from Dave Thomas and handing them over to the painter a few minutes later, crossing another project off the bucket list.

Hopefully, the Memsahib can now start basing the increasing backlog now that we have our two offices empty of the contents of our bedroom (we use the other bedroom and attic as office and studio respectively, hence why we've sleeping in the lounge and dining area for the last couple of weeks.

She has 3 x 12 litre R.U.Bs full of models to base, with at least 6 more to come. And that's before the next batch of around 1200 I'm prepping up to go to the fantasy painter.

So, it looks like despite the last couple of months, I should be able to complete my fantasy project by mid 2025. Before I sign off, I am seeking the TA3 Orc War Wyvern, like the one pictured here (pic credit to Stuff Of Legends)



 

If you have one, I'll pay £50 for a complete model in good condition. Reach out to me if you have one...

I am also looking for a copy of the Warhammer 1st Ed and Forces of Fantasy box sets which I'll pay £55 each plus postage for in decent condition.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

A Radioactive Wasteland? We Need Another Hero...

Oh My, This Is A Long One...