It Came From The Bookshelf. Or, Reasons To Be Fearful, Part 3

 We have all done stupid things in pursuit of our hobby. As I sit typing this next to a bookcase filled with around 150 cookery books on it, I am reflecting on another gastronomic act of stupidity related to my own hobby journey, which nearly finished me off...

You see, I was looking for a book in my studio yesterday, apropo of planning some colour schemes for my fantasy collection, when from between two Paper Tiger titles, an innocent looking laminated sheet slipped out. 

Thinking this to be one of those QRS's you seem to accumulate over a lifetime, I glanced at it and recoiled in horror, a horror which a writer like Lovecraft saved for the last few paragraphs...

You see, a few years ago, a group of us grognards from the Steel City, decided that a Sunday trip to Warhammer World - a place I don't really like, but am drawn to, in the same way that you are drawn to the aftermath of a serious road accident - and a pub lunch in Bugman's Bar.

I think that the reason we went down was to look once again upon the magnificent Undead Vs Dwarves diorama by John Blanche which used to be on display in the Sheffield store, 40 years ago. In fact we did as I remember being photographed on my knees praying to dark gods in front of the display case, somethning my arthritis will not allow these days - alas.

Anyway, we looked at the menu and noticedthe Ogre Burger Challenge... Basically a pile of grease and meat, which, if you finished it would get you a... Well, you can see above what it got. I mean that was it, not even a photo on a wall of infamy - but I suppose so many gamers are dangerously obese that they'd need a separate room (which GW would no doubt charge an entry fee to view) to display the pics of the victors - or some other celecration to be admired by visitors to WW in future years.

Two of us took the challenge and I actually finished it, got the piece of paper with the ceremony you would expect - absolutely none - and spent the next 72 hours in a state of discomfort and genuine fear for my life as my body attempted to deal with such a volume of food.

I remember that on the way home, we had to stop for me to get a few bottles of Purdey's Elixir to ease my pain and digestion and give my kidneys and liver something to work with other than fat and carbohydrates.

It was recalling this moment of stupidity that made me also recall why I'd stashed it on a bookshelf in the first place, but now, I think it will be framed and displayed in the games room, as a mark of my dedication to the hobby and my outright stupidity.

What compounds my stupidity is that I don't even like Bloodbowl...



TTFN


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

The Passing Of A British Wargaming Legend

A Serious Post And Another Obituary But With Some More Positive Stuff At The End