Take Advice From Sinatra...

 Now I know I've been going on about fantasy for a while, but that's how I'm rolling at present. I don't tie myself to one mast, instead choosimg to sail in all directions as the winds of whim take me.

I am arguably one of the fortunate generation who came up during the heyday of the hobby, when there was more enthusiasm than product lines, and we were obliged and indeed loved to create our own imaginary worlds. 

I loved the fact that there was no real 'Warhammer world', it was pretty much a 'sandbox' onto which we projected our own ideas and aesthetics - and it was great.

These days, it's all done and you hear terms like 'official' and 'canon' way to often in my opinion. Why on earth do people want to imit themselves in this way? Why play fantasy games if you are going to limit your imagination to 'official' worlds? Why not just play traditional fantasy games? After all, most fantasy armies have a tactical and organisational equivalent in history - OK, maybe not dragons, but you get my drift.

I have always loved to 'misuse' historical models as fantasy troops. In my mind, there should be little gunpowder in fantasy games, but when it is included, it's dangerous and a fantastic weapon, not a common everyday sight on my battlefields.

In my latest project, known by those who frequent the 'Yarkshire Gamer' social media group as 'Project Wierd Shit', I'm using 13th and 14th century models, picked up all over the place, but using renaissance era flags to create an aesthetic which causes 'serious' gamers to recoil in horror and disgust, which I find very comforting indeed, and a sign that I am doing things in the traditional manner.

I have units of pavisiers who are the 'Castellans Of The Great City' - but where is this city?

It doesn't matter, it creates in the minds eye a sense of how these troops function and what they represent. I have two units of spearmen with blue hoods, who are the inhabitants of the coastal areas and fishing villages of the realm. Again, that's all I need.... Although, they are no fans of the Crusader Kingdoms, who send small units of sober and taciturn knights to aid the human forces, usually under the command of the notorious Templar , 'Bishop Basha'.

I used to favour the 15th century ranges from Citadel, but they became 'common' so I decided to do it differently this trime. That said, I do sometimes get a twinge of longing in my loins for 'just a small contingent' of these troops, perhaps they could be the forces of the wealthy 'Merchant Kingdoms'... Who knows? Who cares? 

I have a large number of Beastmen, around 300 at the last count. About half are plastic RDG Games 'Satyrs' whilst the other half are Runequest 'Broo'.

The former are a more 'stable' looking race, whilst the latter are as you would expect degenerate. Thus, there I have another thread... The Satyrs are the untainted dwellers in dark forests, the kin of the Centaurs and allies of the Wood Elves. The Broo are the twisted parodies of their cousins, dwelling in twisted forests tainted by the warping effects of the Chaos gods.

You get the idea...

So, why are we as gamers allowing a few 'Big Box' companies to dictate how we play our games and how we shape our imaginary worlds. 

Not only does it stifle creativity, but it allows those who see themselves as 'Gatekeepers' in the worlds of social media to act like complete twats as they defend the 'canon'... 

I have nothing to do with these groups after looking in on a few of them, nor do I get involved in 'official' Oldhammer events, because whilst the vast majority of those involved, are, like me, believers in the true faith of old school gaming, there are a few who I have heard on various podcasts, and read in social media groups who just rub me the wrong way, as they seek to 'own' not only this branch of the hobby but to present themselves as a sort of priest class.

So, you have a few hundred old models... Big deal. Stick another 0 on it and take the knee, noob.

Of course I am being wicked there. That's not my way. I'm all about collectively creating adventures with other gamers. True, I have my own room, with better than average terrain and a lot of shiny toys in boxes and in the pipeline, but what's the point in having that, if uyou don't share it.

I only insist on two things:

1. Bring a tape measure. (although I have plenty, it empowers the player to think they are bringing something to the table)

2. Bring a positive attitude. 

A few weeks ago a cheeky wag challenged me online with 'Pics or I don't believe you have that many figures.'

So, as it was 4AM and the insomnia was upon me, I obliged, apologising for the fact that 2000 or so were still with the painter. I have had no such challenges since, in fact the person in question appears to have crawled off and shrivelled away.

But have I, in rising to that challenge, myself been a force for evil? Have I stifled someone else's hobby, albeit as a result of their own demands that I prove my own credentials?

Perhaps I've stimulated him to go away and create his own wonderful collection with which to thwart me. I really do hopew so, because that will mean another gamer gets a taste of what this fine hobby can bring to your life.

Please, I beseech you, don't limit yourself to 'official' or 'vanilla' armies. Go out and buy figures that you like. Those official figures are just a way of making more money in a selfish manner. Spread your funds, no matter how extravagant or humble, amongst several companies and in doing so you will help keep this hobby fresh and vibrant. So you want your Orcs to be broiwn and not green... That's your choice.

In model railway circles there is a saying.... ' My layout,  my money, my rules'. Apply that to your own hobby. After all, those who are critical, probably have jealousy issues - Fuck 'em. Just have fun and to hell with the rest...


TTFN

 


Comments

  1. Brilliant so much of what you have said resonates with me it annoys me that people seem unable to create their own imagination

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your praise and vitriolic commentary here...

Popular posts from this blog

How, Over 40 Years Ago, A Guy Called Andy Changed My Life With 5 Words, And Other Reminiscences...

The Passing Of A British Wargaming Legend

A Serious Post And Another Obituary But With Some More Positive Stuff At The End